Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Boys Stop Here

If you are a guy, you should stop reading right here. I'm not kidding.

So, as I mentioned in my first post, we have been struggling to get pregnant. My blood work appears normal, OPK's indicate that I am ovulating every cycle, and DH's sperm counts are normal. The next step was to check my tubes and make sure they are open enough to allow the eggs to travel. That was scheduled for today.

The name of the test was the hysterosalpingogram or HSG. It starts out like a normal pelvic exam only the radiologist then puts a balloon in your uterus. After the balloon is inflated, a dye is injected so that they can make sure it flows into the fallopian tubes. Sounds easy enough, right? Well, the radiologist couldn't fine my cervix. Yup, you heard that right She couldn't find it.

Stop here, if you don't want to know details.

She tried the first speculum, and jammed it around looking for my cervix. I'm not kidding, I cried it hurt so bad. She then tried another speculum. I have no idea about the size difference, but, while I didn't cry, again, it was pretty painful and she couldn't see my cervix. So then she sent the tech to get a longer speculum. At least this one was long enough that she could look around without jabbing me like it was a weapon, but she STILL couldn't find my cervix. She then used one of the first two again.

That's right. I had four, count then FOUR, pelvic exams on Monday for NO REASON. I called the office to ask what to do. My doctor is out of town, but the nurses were super sweet and apologetic. He'll be back next week, and hopefully there will be something to say. However, we can't even try the test again until next month.

All that pain, all that stress, and let's not forget the money that I'm sure it will cost me, and we are still NO closer to having a baby. I'm ready to give up. I think I'll end up living in this crappy neighborhood with no kids for the rest of my life. Maybe I'll be lucky and get run over by a semi. At least then DH would get some financial benfit.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Sarah. That sounds awful! Hopefully things will go better when you see the doctor next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! I hate speculums-they are the world's worst thing invented!!! And HSG? I haven't had one but I had a sonoalhist which I think is very similiar. I'm so sorry you're going through all this but you know I've been there and done that and I'm an open book so if you'll look over this run-on sentence :), know I'm here for WHATEVER!!! Whether it be a bitchfest about IF or questions about procedures-you name it and I'm there! Are you still seeing your regular OB or going to an RE? Okay, I'm apologizing now because this is the worst grammatic comment EVER. Heart ya lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just moved over from your old blog. I'm really sorry to hear about your difficulty TTC. I'm sure it's frustrating when it seems like so many people get pregnant without even trying. I've heard that those HSG procedures are very unpleasant, but wow, to go through all that and still not get the procedure. That radiologist sounds like an idiot.

    ReplyDelete