Friday, July 29, 2011

More Crafting

Just to be clear, I don't like how Christmas starts in September these days. I used to love going to the mall right after Thanksgiving and seeing it transformed. Now they decorate by Halloween. Nevertheless, with my new sewing obsession, it is time to start planning my holiday crafts. I'm almost finished with my first gift (pics to come,) but I really want to make stockings. My husband has refused to give up his childhood stocking. It is literally falling apart. With that in mind, I want to make stockings for us that match/coordinate.

The tutorial I'll be using is from Diary of a Quilter. The instructions she has are for small, gift bag type stockings, but I will make bigger ones. I think I'll also add an interfacing to give them a little more structure. I worry that just cotton would get too saggy. I'll also have to add a loop to hang them. Thanks for letting me think through all that. :)

Anyway, fabric choices are obviously important. I don't think my husband is quite ready for a true grownup stocking, so I thought I'd make him a fun one. The outer fabric would be the one on the left and the inner fabric the one on the right.

Andy Stocking Green

Andy Stocking Red

What do you think? Green or red?

I'm planning to make two of these pairings with the hopes that, if we ever get pregnant, the monkey one could go to our child and my husband would be willing to have a grownup stocking.

Sarah Stocking Red

Sarah Stocking White

Sarah Stocking Green

So, which two?

1 comment:

  1. I would do one monkey stocking with the red and one monkey stocking with the green. That way no one has to give up the monkey stocking...and if you eventually are blessed with 2 kids they can both have monkey stockings and then your husband could get a new/adult one.

    ReplyDelete