Friday, August 12, 2011

Book Review

I've been reading a ton this summer, but a friend requested that I review one of my recent reads: Uglies by, Scott Westerfeld.



I didn't realize when I started reading this book that it was part of a trilogy. The story takes place in the future, after there was a huge catastrophe, and every person is forced to go through cosmetic surgery to make them "pretty." The surgery is supposed to take place on a person's 16th birthday. As you can probably guess, something goes wrong with the main character and her surgery. The rest of the book follows Tally as she moves through not being pretty.

It's funny, my friend who is a librarian at school kept recommending the book to me when he found out I liked the Hunger Games trilogy. For some reason, I never took the book though. I'm so glad he took it upon himself to add it to my pile for the summer. Now I have to see if they have the second two books: Pretties and Specials. I would say if you liked the Hunger Games, you would like this book too. I'll be interested to see if the next books are as good as the first.

ETA: Here is the official teaser.
Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license -- for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.

But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world -- and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment