Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Getting Something Off My Chest

I am Christian. Not the in-your-face, if you don't believe what I believe you're going to hell type. But I do believe in God, I go to church regularly, I pray, and, if it seems appropriate, I am happy to talk about my faith. (And yes, I think you can be religious and still believe in Evolution, the Big Bang, and other scientific ideas. In fact, I find that religion supports them.)

So I pray. Let's be clear that I pray with purpose. I recognize and am grateful that I have lots of wonderful things in my life, but there are things I still long for. For the past year, I've been praying that our family could grow. Yes, I specifically prayed for a baby. Just like Hannah and Sarah. Guess what? I still don't have one. I don't think that means I'm praying wrong. I don't think that means God doesn't love me. That does mean that sometimes I'm angry about it, but I still believe God loves me even when I feel that way.

I just thought I would clarify that little tidbit. You can ask for EXACTLY what you want and still not get it.

3 comments:

  1. I still wonder why but after awhile in our journey, I stopped praying for a BFP and instead for patience and guidance and understanding. I can't say I've gotten any of those yet either but I pray for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wha? You mean that some people saying that "duh, all I needed to do was to pray for a baby" are idiots and dog killers? I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what do you know, praying also didn't save my dad from a horrible death. I am not religious, but I appreciate what Alyssa said in terms of praying for things like patience and not things like, um, what Joline said.

    ReplyDelete