Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hunger Games!

Have you read it? Seen the movie? I've done and enjoyed BOTH!
http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif
Last Friday, Maggie, Alyssa, my mom, and I all went to opening day to catch the new release. In terms of turning books in to movies, there have been a lot of recent failures in my opinion.


The first Harry Potter. Quiddich is ruined.


The original Twilight. Hello disco ball Edward and zero emotional range Bella!

Needless to say, I went into Hunger Games with a little trepidation. I'm happy to say that the folks that brought us the Hunger Games movie did a great job. (My mom, who hasn't read the books, enjoyed it as well.) While I know that there were a few changes from the original story, overall they really stayed true to the book. I'm sure this had to do, in large part, to the fact that the author Suzanne Collins was the screenwriter. She did a good job of making sure the movie had the same FEEL as the books.http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif


I generally approved of the casting too. Elfie was perfect!

I think my biggest disappointment actually came after the movie. I friend posted an article on Twitter that pointed out that people were posting incredibly racist comments about the actors playing Rue and Thresh, the tributes from District 11. Having read the book, I knew they were described as "dark skinned," so I wasn't surprised that the actors were black. (Cinna was also black in the movie... who cares?!?!?!) These fans on Twitter even went so far as to say they regretted mourning Rue now that they knew she was black! It really makes me so sad that people still harbor such awful thoughts in this day and age.

No, it doesn't make me sad, it makes me angry and ill.

And it makes me want to send fan letters to those two actors and Suzanne Collins for not thinking twice about those types of racist ideas.

1 comment:

  1. Crazy about the Rue comments-who cares as long as they're good actors AKA not Kristen Stewart!

    ReplyDelete