Monday, February 13, 2012

It's all in a name



Let me preface this post by saying two things. First, we don't have a name picked out yet. A doesn't want to even get into the discussion really until he is more sure of the sex. Second, even when we do pick a name, we won't be sharing it until the baby is born. Not even with family. We just don't trust people not to share ALL their opinions with us before she is born.

Now on to what I was thinking about. I've still been thinking about names and such and I have a definite front runner for our little girl. I then started thinking about middle names. My cousin sent us The Baby Name Wizard book to help with our name search. It is a cool book that not only has a big section where it lists a bunch of names, but it also groups names by type. So it's kind of like Amazon. "If you like the name X, you might like...."

Using the name I think we should use for our first name, I looked in the categories where it falls for middle name ideas. While several sounded nice together in terms of rhythm and such, I noticed that the character of the name changed drastically based on the middle name. One middle name would make everything feel timeless while another would make it feel like I was a wannabe celebrity naming my kid Apple or something.

Attaching a name to a person, an identity that they will probably have the rest of their life, it such a big responsibility! It's a good thing we have several more months to get it hammered out.

No comments:

Post a Comment